To get started, configure the following setup items in the order by which they appear:
- Enable Backfill Management
- Configure Backfill Preferences
Enable Backfill Management
By default, Backfill is not enabled. Once Backfill is enabled, Backfill functionality appears throughout PowerSchool, including:
- Access to the Backfill Management page.
- Certain aggregation necessary to support backfill will occur whenever attendance is recorded in the system
- Three additional attendance categories, Unexcused Absences, Excused Absences, and Suspensions will be created, if they are not already existing, that are necessary to support backfill reports.
- On the start page, choose School under Setup in the main menu.
- Under Attendance, click Backfill Preferences.
- Select the CA Continuation School Backfill Enabled checkbox to enable Backfill Management.
Note: To disable Backfill Management, deselect the CA Continuation School Backfill Enabled checkbox.
Configure Backfill Preferences
Once you have enabled Backfill, you can then configure backfill preferences to indicate how you want backfilling to be processed.
Select Realtime Backfill Enabled to apply backfill whenever attendance is recorded in the system. Alternatively, you can run a separate backfill process on a regular basis and keep this option turned off.
- Choose the Program to Backfill.
- Update the Target Hours per Day in Week to tell the system the maximum number of hours per week that can be claimed toward ADA funding.
- Update the Maximum Work Experience Hours per Day in Week.
- Enter the Backfill Start Date to let the system know how far back it should look when investigating for weeks that need backfill hours to achieve the maximum that can be claimed for ADA. This date should be changed whenever reports are produced, especially auditing reports or P1, P2 and P3 reports for the state, so that the backfill process does not change attendance for weeks that have already been reported. It is recommended that the backfill start date be set to the beginning of each reporting period, ensuring that the backfill start date is synchronized with the actual reporting periods.
Enter the Backfill End Date to let the system know the date on which the backfill will no longer be applied. Typically this field is left blank to indicate the current date or is set to the end of the school year. If entering a backfill end date, it is recommended that the backfill end date be set to the ending of each reporting period, ensuring that the backfill end date is synchronized with the actual reporting period.
- Click Submit.